Monday, March 20, 2006

day 269

**well i've got a hammer .. and i've got a bell to ring** whoops, guess i'm getting a little carried away here hehe

but i DO have a bell to ring :)  my sister Susie brought the bell over while i was sick a few months ago .. it belonged to my grandma Madge and it is so precious to me so i asked her if i could keep it .. i am thankful she understood how this little bell could mean so much to me

i hadn't even realized my son noticed i had the bell .. but last night he surprised me by telling me that if i had an emergency during the night to ring the bell .. i had a feeling of deja vu last night and it freaked me out thinking i was going to have another seizure so i had him come in and "hold my hand" for a few minutes till that awful feeling went away .. i'm sitting here now appreciating that he didn't give me a hard time or think i was silly for being so scared .. i am so damn proud of that boy words don't do justice **big proud momma smiles**

yesterday, by far, was the most difficult day i've had so far .. i just hung on moment by moment and pretty soon it was easier to accept that i was having a hard day and i just tried to "roll with the punches" so to speak and look for positive things

i explained yesterday how i woke up in pure pain from my rib after only 4 hours sleep .. i was rummaging around and found morphine patches that i had been prescribed for the pain from the radiation treatment .. i read the pamphlet carefully (and realized that i couldn't use a heating pad and the morphine patch at the same time) and decided that i could really benefit from stronger pain medication .. its a 3 day patch .. kinda mild dose of morphine, but its enough to take the edge off the pain .. ask me how relieved i was to have the pain subside :)

i was treated to the most delicious dinner last night !!  i have been craving lobster like a mad man .. they have these commercials running for the lobsterfest at Red Lobster and i can't seem to get my mind off lobster lol  my son called yesterday afternoon where he was shopping at costco with his Aunt .. she asked me if i wanted lobster or crab (or both) !!!!!  she and my son ended up preparing a salad, lobster tail and baby zucchini and then my son came home, sautéed the zucchini and broiled the lobster tail (a HUGE tail if i do say so myself!!) he refused to let me help !!  i am still sitting here in awe of the completely generous act my ex-sister in law and my son .. we couldn't even finish the lobster and didn't even touch the snow crab legs so today my son is running to the store to get some fettichini alfredo so i can throw together the leftover lobster and the crab .. afterwards my son refused to let me help clean up and did the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen (a well done job if i do say so myself) .. anyway, i'm feeling like the biggest spoiled person right now and i'm loving it hehe  i even got him to massage my hands and feet last night (he said all i had to do was ask) !!  i'm in heaven !!

i had a change in the feeling of my hands and feet yesterday .. the closest i can come to explaining the feeling is that when your foot goes to sleep and it starts to "wake up", it can be painful .. a burning aching feeling that really hurts !!  well i was in so much discomfort yesterday i was basically worthless .. not only were my hands and feet numb, but they were burning and itching too but i hoped that was a GOOD thing and it meant that maybe, just maybe, the numbness was going away .. sure enough, today i have less numbness in my feet and hands !!  it hasn't gone away completely but i can tell its about 30% better than before !!!  **insert happy camper dance** lol

when my son got home last night i told him that i was thinking about going back to online grocery shopping again .. he looked at me and told me that it wasn't necessary because he actually enjoyed doing the grocery shopping for us !!  how sweet was that?!?!  i was trying to think of ways to lessen his responsibility for me and for now at least, he swears the responsibility isn't too much for him to shoulder .. again, ask me how proud i am to be this young mans mother !!!

this morning at 10 am i have my initial in home physical therapy treatment .. basically it will just be getting set up, finding out how much i need and how much i can tolerate .. i think i could manage about 5 minutes of exercise before i'd collapse in exhaustion !!  i can't believe how drained i've been feeling but i really do feel stronger as each day passes and i'm doing little exercises on my own, mostly just leg lifts and stretching

then at 2:30 i have my first appointment for radiation .. we're just going to do the measuring and stuff, no actual radiation but i'm nervous nonetheless .. my son is bringing me to the appointment and his presence really helps me be stronger .. he HATES it when i break down and cry so i somehow usually manage to be just a bit stronger because he's there with me :)

i got some reading done yesterday !!  i ended up with a headache and frustrated because i kept getting words wrong but i finished a few articiles in the readers digest and actually comprehended what i read !!  i can feel the changes in my ability to think and process thoughts as each day goes by .. its a huge relief to see progress cause i have a fondness for my brain lol  i happen to like my brain the way it was and can't wait for it to get as "back to normal" as it can !!!!

i feel awful for having good news that i managed to complete;y overlook and not share because i was caught up in all the commotion .. it turns out my lung tumor is just a BIT smaller than before !!!  which is actually the first really good news that i've gotten so far !!  both my oncologist and i were really surprised and it was the last thing we were expecting !!  i am relieved and gonna take this good news and make the most of it !!!

the other good news i neglected to share is that after 5 hours of brain surgery, it went as good as it could .. my neurosurgeon had explained that sometimes tumors can be "sticky" and harder to remove .. turns out my tumor wasn't connected to any brain tissue and it made the removal so much easier !! (by the way i get my stitches removed tomorrow and i'm so NOT looking forward to it lol i know its going to be uncomfortable .. i've got at least 30 stitches that need to be removed and i'm a huge baby when it comes to pain so i'm gonna make sure and pop a few vicodin before my appointment (i am taking ALL the help i can get hehe)

i have managed to get my weight up to 106 pounds !!!  **insert yet another happy dance !!**  because of the steriods i am eating about 10 meals a day .. it feels completely unnatural to have such a huge appetite, being hungry again within 10 - 20 minutes of having a full meal but thankfully i need to put the weight back on .. my ideal weight was 138 pounds and its my goal to put on as much weight and regain as much strength as i can before the possible side effect of loss of appetite from the radiation .. i made my son promise last night that he'd force me to drink 2 protein shakes a day if i lose my appetite .. he promised :)

i can't believe how quickly my brusing has gotten better !!!  when i got home from the hospital, my legs and mostly my arms were literally covered with bruises from all the IV's and injections .. the bruises are basically gone now after me expecting them to last for weeks !!!  i am wondering if it has anything to do with the mega multi-vitamin/minerals that i'm taking ::shrugging::  what i DO know is that these horse pills are so huge that i have to cut them in half and the taste like garbage LOL

well i've managed to work up an appetite (so whats new hehe) so thanks for taking the time to share my head noise .. you guys never fail to amaze me at how you've taken an interest in my life and my journey .. even though i don't really understand it, i've stopped questioning the fact that i've got the best journaling friends in the world and i simply appreciate the fact that i've got y'all in my life .. ((waving at Andi cause we shared the most awesome phone conversation yesterday !!!))

i'm gonna go eat now hehe (and pardon please my lack of spell check lol)

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you have some possitive news, and a wonderful son.
You are in my prayers. love ya Barbara

Anonymous said...

You have clearly raised a WONDERFUL son---good job mom! Glad to hear your good news and your positive attitude:)

Anonymous said...

The news about your tumor in your lung being smaller is just awesome!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

It was, of course, your brain that attracted me to you in the first place.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Your son is amazing....no wonder tho... Good Apples dont fall far from the tree and You are one good, yummy, kind, positive, sweet-as-can-be apple! Im so happy to hear some good news on your end! I think about you everyday...

Take Care of yourself and keep eating those yummy dinners! (Im way jealous btw, I love Lobster!)

Tell your son, and your entire family, I think they are fabulous. Just like you.

Hugs,
Shelli

www.spankgraphics.com/blog.html

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have your Grandma Madge's bell ~ and I think we know how proud of your Son you are ~ We are also proud of him ~ I love your positive attitude ~ keep that way Pam ~ Lobster and crab two of my favourite foods ~ "Lung tumor just a bit smaller" ~ thats a good start ~ and wonderful news ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful to hear you have an appetite!  Good for you.  Eat, eat and eat some more!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Look at you, lady!  Packing on the pounds!  

So good to get some good news.  Your boy is a gem!  I'm so glad he is there with you - and taking care of the squirrels too!  Such a great kid - and Momma, you have done a great job indeed.  

Keep on eating, Pam.  It's redundant I'm sure, but sometimes I just can't believe your amazing spirit.  

Leslie

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear the GOOD news! That's wonderful.

What a terrific kid you have Pam.  It doesn't surprise me though, as long as I've read your journal I've seen what an incredible mom you've been with both your children.  What goes around, comes around!

I've got a few extra pounds I'd love to pack up and send you.  But, since I can't...KEEP EATING!!
:)

Anonymous said...

You are really full of good news today!  And that's good news to all of us.  You are justifiably proud of the son who not only cares, but acts to make things just alittle easier for you.  May the tumor keep shrinking and your strength keep growing.

Anonymous said...

Spell check!?  We're just glad to have to back!  Yes, you have a wonderful son. A big help and good company too!  Keep singing!  :)

Lots of hugs and prayers.

Darlene


http://journals.aol.com/djohn52/AgeingGracefullyWithAllTheHelpIC/

Anonymous said...

wtg!  with the lung tumor getting smaller...and misspell allt he words!  just love  having you back!
Becky

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear about the weight gain, the tumor being smaller, the brain tumor not being sticky, and about that wonderful son of yours.  He will make a great husband someday.  You should be proud of him.

Andi is amazing.  It's great to have friends here in J-land.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Pam, what a delight you are to read, you had me chuckling over here, if anyone can pick up our spirits, it's you dear.  How fab is that son of yours, you sure did something good in raising him dear. And he enjoys grocery shopping, cooking you fab meals and cleaning up.  He's a real gem.  Glad you gained some weight again, that your tumor on lung is smaller, your hands and feets having less numbness, you comprehended what you read and that your tumor was not attached to any tissue; that has to be a good sign. Hope tomorrow is even a better day for you Pam.   We all care about you, always will......AJ

Anonymous said...

this is a really all-good news entry isn't it?  i am very happy for you today.
your son is the best, how could you not be so proud?!   what a great meal!

keep up the happy dancing, girl !

xo phinney

Anonymous said...

wooo hooooo
doing a happy dance for you as well!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad you have good news!!!!

hopefully the rough days will get better and better--and maybe with spring some nicer weather will blow in our way and make things a bit better--I know the rain really makes me hurt more!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So happy about your appetite! Wonderful but be careful with your salt intake. With the steroids you can retain a huge amount of fluid. I had to take diuretics with mine. That lobster sounds YUMMY! I am so happy that you have your wonderful and loving son there with you. He's probably the RX you truly needed. OX

Anonymous said...

Your son sounds like a gem.  You need to be pampered right now and he is doing a good job at it.  I am sure that as hard as work at things you will soon be reading and understanding everything.  Keep working hard and gathering strength.  Hugs to you and takecare friend.  TerryAnn.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you that your son is home with you.  I am a mom to 3 boys and I hope my sons are as good to me someday as your son is to you.  You should be proud of yourself, too, for raising such a good kid.  He sounds like a godsend to you.  Good luck with your radiation, and getting your stitches out.  

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I think your son became a Man whilst he was away.

Anonymous said...

stay strong:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

aww, Pam, I am so proud of Nicky.. I ran across some pictures today of you in labor with him, and of his first moments in this world.. I am so proud of him.. you did good :-)

All my love,
Nancy
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/updateonpam

Anonymous said...

Wow, such great energy and optimism in your writing!!  How awesome that your son is being such a big help!  I found your post through another's and I must say I'll be checking in on you!  Cudo's to you!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I Love You, Darlin'.  ;)

andi

Anonymous said...

KEEP EATING!!! YOU SOUND ALOT BETTER AND I BELIEVE THESE PRAYERS ARE HELPING OUT TOO! GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU INHIS LIGHT....ALSO YOUR SON, MAY GOD BLESS THIS WONDERFUL CHILD WHO IS THERE FOR HIS MAMA IN HER TIME OF NEED. AMEN.
LOVE IN CHRIST,
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

(((Pamela))) You are always in my thoughts. I am so happy to see you writing and getting better. I have a big scar too and OMG the pain!!!!!!

You are so blessed. Never give up love.

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

You are so amazing, and I am so glad you are back. . . Kudos to your son.  He is certainly a reflection of wonderful parenting ;)  Cya, Kris

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you can eat again Pam....and so glad your weight is coming back on. I just adore your son and wish I could hook him & my Mandy up, she needs a good man :)
Your Lobster feast sounds yummy and fom now on, each and every one I ever eat will be toasted first....."this bite's for you Pam". It brings me so much hope to have you here again. I'm pulling for you.

All My Hopes & Prayers......

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Pam, It's wonderful to hear that you've got an appetite again!  And, what awesome food choices you are making these days.  Yum!!  I had to indulge in the Lobster fest the other day and it sure was good...but geez, way too much food for one meal.  Let those family members do what ever they want for you....YOU deserve it!  Hugs, Lisa