Thursday, March 16, 2006

day 265

::sigh::

i just got done reading about half the posts to my sisters group (
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/updateonpam/message) where she so kindly kept you updated on my condition .. then i got to the post where i was swept off to the hospital and they discovered i had 2 brain tumors

i kinda got too choked up to continue reading anymore .. i'd say hands down it has got to be the scariest thing i've had to deal with thus far in my journey .. looking back i can see where i should have known something was wrong .. all the symptoms .. i can only pray that the surgery and upcoming radiation "fix" whats wrong with my brain

this is so difficult to write about .. scared shitless .. thats what i am lol

so, change in subjects ..

my new glasses will be arriving in about a week !!  my adventure went smoothly .. my vision isn't as bad as all that, about 20/25 .. but its enough to make it extremely difficult to read without a magnifying glass .. my son and i had a good time picking out my new frames (i lead a sheltered life and get my fun where i can) hehehe

my ex-husbands wife, Suzan, has been a great help to me .. she worked in oncology for a few years and has agreed to take me to my appointment with the oncologist on friday afternoon .. since the original lung cancer didn't respond to the radiation and previous chemo, its time for plan D

i had hoped it wouldn't boil down to me being some guinea pig, but i think thats just whats going to happen unless they've come up with some miracle chemotherapy in the past few months ..

i have a busy day scheduled tomorrow .. a chiropractors appointment at 11 am; getting signed up with a home health care nurse who will visit me once a week at 12:30; physical therapy starts at 3 pm and the oncologist at 4:10 .. i'm trying to get the chiropractors appointment moved to today but its difficult since i have to rely on my son for a ride and he is still on hawaii time (sleeps until 2 pm) lol

i am so proud of the progress i've made so far .. you'd never know i underwent major brain surgery less than a week ago (i swear i can't figure out what happened on what day .. the days are kinda messed up lately) hehe

the doc has me on a prescription to prevent additional seizures, a prescription for pepcid (to protect my tummy) a steriod to control the swelling and vicodin .. the pain is mostly tolerable .. it waivers between incisional discomfort and headaches .. the headaches are the most difficult to tolerate .. it might be my imagination but they seem to get to me mostly at night when i'm trying to get comfortable .. i ended up popping 4 vicodin last night before it had an effect on the pain .. oh, i'm also on sleeping pills (restoril) .. hehe .. i have NO idea if anyone is interested in the drugs that i'm taking LOL 

i've gained a pound !!  103.5 pounds :)  the doc says the steroid dexamethasone, will effect my mood and my appetite .. i swear i must eat 8 meals a day .. its a wonder i haven't gained more weight .. last night i had a craving for kryspy kreme donuts (i had my son pick up a dozen donuts) and ended up nuking 3 glazed donuts hehe 

i almost feel good enough to start working again .. i am relieved that my head has cleared enough to be able to figure out what i'm supposed to be doing (i'm an accountant and have totally missed the year end closing on about 40 sets of books) .. i have NO idea why my employer has been as generous .. i guess 24 years of loyalty counts for something .. i am so relieved that a paycheck isn't something i have to worry about .. they are paying me even though i haven't done any work for a few months .. i am so grateful to them, they have no idea

i have a stupid question .. does anybody know if my hands and feet were numb before ?  as stupid as it sounds, i can't figure out if this is something new or something old .. i just know its frustrating trying to write or type .. so if anybody knows if i mentioned tingling in my feet and hands, i'd appreciate a reminder :)

on that note, i've done worn myself out !!  this is great exercise for me .. being able to sort out my thoughts .. and i'm finding the words are coming out better every single day !!

thanks for listening to my ramblings :)

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I don't remember about the numbness but I do know that you are an amazing woman.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,
I'm so delighted that you're back.  We have all had you in our thoughts & prayers, and are thankful for the group your sister put together to keep us informed on your progress.  (Thanks Nancy!)

You have mentioned numbness before ... I used your technorati profile and found a few mentions.  Here's one of them: http://journals.aol.com/his1desire/GirlsHeadNoise/entries/1243

With your appetite coming back, see if you can eat mushrooms; lots of them; daily.  Not the *magical* kind, but the healthy kind.  There was a program (radio? tv? I don't recall) that said they work wonders for keeping the liver clean, and if the liver is clean then the rest of the body will be able to prevent & help in the treatment of cancer because it helps keep the liver clean (& the liver is the "filter" for the entire body).  I did a quick search on the Internet & found this that you might find interesting: http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=5182

May you feel better with each passing day,
~Dee
www.CrochetingWithDee.com

Anonymous said...

I cant even tell you how much you inspire people. You define strength, courage, persistance, and determination. :) So glad you are having better days!

Anonymous said...

I'm so taken back with your spirit and your willingness to view each day as a new experience, Uou are such a blessing to God, you have an inner strength that can't be reckoned with.  You are truly an inspiration, thanks for sharing your deepestain with us.

Anonymous said...

Pam,

I don't recall you ever mentioning it before (the hands and feet thing) but as a fellow brain tumor survior and a member of three brain tumor support groups I CAN tell you that that is a normal side effect from brain surgery.  I have residual numbness in my left hand that I have had since 1997 and it feels just like when you have sat on your foot too long and it "goes to sleep."

Many people who go threw brain surgery experience the same thing in their limds because when they open your brain they serve nerves and the tingling comes from the healing.  Maybe too much info?

Anyway it is ok, plus didn't the doctor say that your chemo does it too so you have a double whammy?

Boy am I glad to see you thinking and posting!  Thrilled to death.  I want to hear all the details.  ALL OF THEM.




Is the garden starting to sprout?

Anonymous said...

Wow Ms. Pam!
You came back with a bang.
You sound absolutely just like the old Pam, the one I started reading months ago.

I do think you mentioned some tingling in your hands before but of course I could be wrong.  I would think you may have mentioned it to your doctor.  

I'll let you get back to your busy schedule...and donuts;o)
Enjoy your day!
Lotsa love & prayers for you,
Niki

p.s. Nancy did a great job on keeping us updated.  You are so lucky to have such a loving family.  And that includes your sleepy head son!

Anonymous said...

Hey darlin'

I seem to remember you mentioning some tingling.  Believe me, after all you've been through, it's not a crazy question!

Your attitude is amazing and such an inspiriration. I'm so happy that you seem to be feeling stronger every day.  

{{{{{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}}}

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see you back!  Yay!  Nancy was wonderful to make the group for us.... truly, she is a wonderful sister!  

I am praying for you with a passion, you keep fighting, Pam!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I don't know how i missed Nancy's message board link before - i just found it last nite and signed up too - how wonderful for her to take on that homework too... your sisters are just great!  please thank them for us again..

you sound wonderful dahling - keep it up -

...and as the spring blossoms, so does Pam...

perfect.

hugs,
flora



Anonymous said...

Wow!  So good to see you writing again.  I have to say a week after brain surgery, I think I'd be all cloudy, but you are doing great.  

About the numbness, I do recall you mentioning something in passing, but from what I understood, it was temporary?  Maybe I'm wrong about that.  

Your sisters are sweethearts.  I can't tell you how we all were so worried and for her to keep us updated, was very kind.  I know you and your family have so much going on, it would be perfectly understandable if we weren't updated, but it was so thoughtful and appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I look forward everyday to your ramblings.  I can not remember you saying that your hands were numb or legs for that matter.  I will continue to pray for you everytime you cross my mind which is several times a day.  (((((((((PAM)))))))  Hugs.  You have forever touched  my life.  Keep fighting the good fight Pam!  Love ya, TerryAnn.

Anonymous said...

It is so good to "hear" you sound more and more like yourself.  Keep up the good work of getting better.
Traci

Anonymous said...

it is so GOOD to hear your ramblings!
I MISSED you!
hugs
laura
www.adventuresinjuggling.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I remember you saying something about it before. Numbness is a side effect of brain surgery and chemo.
You have amazing employers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam. Your ramblings are like a breath of fresh air. Your are doing brilliantly. You would never have guessed that you had surgery just a short time since, and for writing about your medication. Im very intrested in anything you are writing. You are a insperation to me and many others. Love and hugs, God bless
katie xx

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are feeling well enough to start writing!  
Can't wait to see your new glasses.  Bet it felt good to get out of the house for a little while.
Congrats on the weight gain.

Take care,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hya Pam, ramble all you like, you sound a very strong and couragous lady.  You've made wonderful progress, it's been a pleasure to say hi.  Take very good care of u. Rache xx

Anonymous said...

Aww, Pam. It`s wonderful to see your words!
Happy St. Patrick`s Day!
Hugs,
V

Anonymous said...

take care of yourself

betty

Anonymous said...

I remember you talking about your hands going numb on you when you typed.. don't remember whether you said anything about your feet, though.
At any rate, it is so wonderful to have you back with us, sounding just like the old Pam..   You have been missed more than you will ever know, Pam!

Hugs and Love,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Those steroids will keep you gaining weight and feeling good :). I don't remember any mention of numbness, but then I don't have the best memory either.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

HI
I've just found your journal.
I was reading back entries and don't know if the vicodin still makes you itch or not--but for me--Benadryl gel was a life saver.  it's clear and doesn't stain clothes and it stops the itching i get from morphine!
If you get a chance--stop by and say hi!!!!!!!
http://journals.aol.com/nyuknyukpik2/Throwmeabone

Anonymous said...

Pam, what a joy to hear your voice in your words!

And my college-age sons have never been to Hawaii but they sleep the same weird hours.  Nice that he has a more romantic excuse, though.

Anonymous said...

Pam dear, so wonderful to check your site and see your words.  You are a force to be reckoned with dear, nothing gets you down, good for you.   Think your positive attitude about everything and your ability to touch each of our hearts with your words has made us all just love you.  Sounds like you have good support to get you through your next treatment with family, friends and all of us here for you.  You hang in there, ther are some great new treatments out there Pam that will help you dear.....God bess you.....AJ

Anonymous said...

Ramble ON! I'm just so glad to see you posting and sounding (or is that writing?) like your old self. I don't care if we hear what you had for breakfast as long as when I check in there is a post <g> The numbness... I don't remember for sure, but I think I remember you mentioning your hands, but I don't recall you ever mentioning your feet...
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

hang in there pam

Deb

Anonymous said...

So glad that your trip went good! I know how frustrating it can get when you can not see to read...I am about blind without my glasses! lol
God bless you hon,
Carlene

Anonymous said...

Pam, I am so happy to see ur back online and posting!! Hang in there and continue to fight!!

Best Wishes and lots of prayers,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Pam,
Seems like I do remember you mentioning your hands being numb, but I don't recall anything about your feet.  
I'm so glad you are able to post again.  
Hon, I know your scared.  I'm scared too...but your going to make it through this.  I just know it!
Much love,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam - it is so good to hear from you again.  I bet your new glasses are gonna look great!  Cannot wait to see pics.  :)  How beautiful and what an inspiration you are to us.  God Bless You.
P.S. You're starving me with the mention of donuts though.  Aren't Krispy Kremes just the best!  Mmmm...!  ;)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!  You sound great!  Be well--  Sincerely, SRM

P.S.  Your great sense of humor is also medicine (for you and for your readers).  Many blessings!

Anonymous said...

You are my hero, you have been through so much and still have a good outlook and a sense of humor.  It's interesting about the medications you are on, four Vicodin, I sure hope the pain eases up for you very soon.  I think at 103.5 you can afford to gain a pound or two.

Anonymous said...

Seems like your sense of humor is still in check!  <grin>

I do recall you mentioning your hands being numb quite a bit, but I don't remember anything about your feet.  ???  

Can't wait to see a picture of you in your new glasses!

XO,
bridgett