Saturday, March 18, 2006

day 267

today at 4 pm i've arranged for a mobile pet grooming service to come out and groom bubba cat .. he is our only long hair cat and at least twice a year he gets so matted that i need to shave his belly .. last year i had access to the professional heavyduty clippers at the humane society plus the help of my daughter, but this year i figured it wasn't something i was up for doing .. the first mobile service i called only charges $40 to shave his belly .. a price i couldn't refuse !  it just requires that i contain him (unhappily) in the carrier until they arrive (can't have him escaping out the back door!)

i'll be relieved when i know he's more comfortable .. he's a big scared baby but this really is best for him .. my daughter always says how happy he acts after his mats have been shaved off :)

i am irritated to no end with my oncologist ... he decided to removed the tape from my rib "to get a better look at it" and besides "the tape serves no purpose" but i disagree strongly .. the tape was making it possible for me to get comfortable during the day and at night time .. the doc wants the radiologist to take a quick look at my ribs and then i'm rushing off to miracle worker Dr Nancy to get it retaped .. i didn't get to sleep till 4 am because of the pain from my rib and i couldn't even celebrate saint patricks day with a green beer :(

my day began with my first home visit from the home care nurse .. at first i questioned how could i benefit from in home nursing visits and then Suzan (exhusbands wife) suggested that perhaps if i'd had visits from nurses that some of the issues like my anemia, dehydration etc wouldn't have gone ignored for so long .. i think she had an excellent idea :)

my first speech therapy began at 12 (another in home visit!) we talked a little, getting a little background on my medical condition, my goals .. how far i've come, how far i see myself going .. and she did some testing requiring that i read questions and find the most suitable answers .. obviously they got more difficult with each one until the last and i read that outloud and it took every ounce of brain power i had to figure out the answer (hahaha and i got it right lol)

she had me read aloud .. i kept getting the words wrong and ended up in tears of frustration .. she was very understanding and gave me a few minutes to compose myself .. it was about this time that my migrane started lol

she suggested that i begin crossword puzzles and criss cross puzzles (childrens published by Mensa) .. i'm nervous knowing its going to be difficult for me initially but at the same time i'm excited about having tools to improve my brain function .. she also suggested i start reading fiction novels again but begin with an "easy" author like sidney sheldon so i ordered one of his large print books online from barnes and noble .. the therapist suggested that i begin reading each paragraph then stop and say aloud what information i gathered from that paragraph because the words are refusing to stick in my head .. i read the words aloud and they have NO meaning .. i'm beginning to read today, starting out with short stories from readers digest (before cancer i was a very avid reader of fictional novels .. courtroom drama, anything forensic) i am excited to think that i might be enjoying reading again in the near future !!

as far as the status of the accidental garden .. i haven't put seeds in the squirrels basket for months .. not only do i lack the energy to be taking care of the squirrels but its just too cold for anything to grow !!  perhaps in a few weeks i'll have regained enough strength to start taking care of my squirrels again .. i put a corn cob up for them yesterday morning and by the afternoon they had eatten all the corn lol  it was refreshing to see the squirrels scampering around the trees again :)

well i've seemed to have worked up my appetite again .. since i didn't go to sleep till 4 am, i woke up at 7 and took my medication, managed to fall back to sleep at 8 and slept until 1 !!  that is the most sleep i've gotten since i was admitted into the hospital on June 3rd !!

thanks for checking back and listening to my ramblings :) xoxoxoxox

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you may not be able to remember what you read but your writing is fine -- BIG step!
Hope Kitty is not too traumatized.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for rambling!
I know that bubba will feel better getting all the mats gone.  He may hate being in a crate but he will love you for it!!!
Hey, make that son of yours feed the squirels!  I love watching squirels and birds at feeders.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Pam please keep your spirits high and just know that prayers for you always. Love that you are feeding the squirels

Deb

Anonymous said...

I know you'll feel better as you reembrace a little more normalcy each day.  Love your ramblings.  You never miss a beat here.
:)

Anonymous said...

So happy to be reading your "ramblings" again!  Just put one foot in front of the other . . . you've already come a long way!  Blessings, Penny http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

Anonymous said...

I must say, I think you sound very coherent.  Good luck. Carolyn

Anonymous said...

You have a great support system!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your rambling!  it means your not stuck
in a hospital somewhere!  
Love ya!
Connie

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the you got your cat taken care of.  I have never thought of giving the squirls a corn cob. I guess I am not that much of a host.  Think i will try that this year.  Hard to believe that you are having problems thinking about what you read because you are quite a great writer.  I am sure you will be seeing some improvements soon.  When my grandfather had his first brain tummor removed he had memory problems for awhile an then he got it all back.  He is going in sometim in April to have the one which grew back removed.  Hope you got your rib rewrapped and can get some sleep.  Hugs....TerryAnn.

Anonymous said...

Like you, I'm an avid reader.  Hope you get to the point where you can enjoy a good book again!  

The speech therapist seems to have some wonderful ideas!

XO,
bridgett