Thursday, December 1, 2005

ouch

ouch

why did i think that when the side effects from the radiation hit me it would be this gradual, ease into it kind of thing?

after my radiation treatment yesterday i drove to my office thinking my throat felt strange .. within 20 minutes i couldn't stop trying to clear my throat .. its not sore, more like there is something stuck about half way down my chest .. dinner was no problem but around 10 pm last night i decided to take a sleeping pill and almost couldn't get it down, my throat was so tender

yesterday i asked the technologist exactly how much of my chest is being radiated .. for some reason, i came away from all those pre-meetings believing the area around my breasts was receiving the majority of the radiation.  He corrected me .. its from the top of my neck, to just below my breasts (i receive radiation from both the front and the back) i haven't even gone that far with the aloe vera gel on the front and can't even get my hands close to my back

this morning i woke up with red itchy bumps on my neck and upper back .. the beginnings of a sunburn .. even though i'm sure in some book somewhere it says "DO NOT SCRATCH SUNBURNS", i don't care .. it itches .. it really itches .. and my throat is starting to feel a little less uncomfortable and a lot more like discomfort

can i go back to bed now? lol

on the "good news" front, i talked to my boss yesterday about borrowing money to have my eyes checked out and possibly go in for lasik (or laser) eye surgery .. it was something that i had started saving money for last year and now my eyesight has gotten so bad most days i struggle trying to read the leases they put on my desk .. he agreed to lend me the money and tuesday i have an appointment with one of the leading Ophthalmologists in the Bay Area !!!!  ::insert happy dance::

on that note, its time for me to get ready to call my mom .. not that i'm actually going to be able to TALK .. but i can at least listen lol

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam it does get better eventually......Keep as you always do positive....Good luck with the laser eye surgery.....Ally

Anonymous said...

Aw, you need someone to help you rub the aloe gel on your back!  =(  I hope it doesn't get too bad.  i so hope your throat problem is only temporary.  good news on the eye surgery!  if  I had the money, (no boss to borrow from, lol)  i would have that surgery done too!  would LOVE to be without glasses!!    good luck Pam!  still thinking of you and keeping up, although I don't comment a lot.  xo Phinney  

http://journals.aol.com/geminiwilder/Paragon/

Anonymous said...

(((((((Pamela)))))) Keep your chin up hon.  It's goig to be alright, hon.  And congrats on the Lasik.  I'm too chicken shit to do it, go figure!
Hugs,
xoxox
Heather

Anonymous said...

Angel Girl...

So sorry you are itchy & already have throat problems! Your in my thoughts & prayers today! How about those flavor ice things...like when someone gets their tonsils out, it might help or can you handle ice chips?

Anonymous said...

Hello there.  My mom has been having chemo with a few people that also have lung cancer and are getting both the chemo and radiation at the same time.  I know the one woman told my mom the worse part of the radiation was her throat.  It was actually small burns in her throat from the procedure.  She sucks on a lot of throat lozenges, and she drinks a lot of water.  Hope that helps you.  I think of you every day and I have you in my prayers.  Oh yea, go for the Lasik.  My husband had it done in April and he is so happy with it.  No more glasses for him and he was blind as a bat without his glasses.  His eyes were a little irratated the first couple of days but that's all.  Good Luck!!
Missie

Anonymous said...

You got tired of counting the days, did you? I don't blame you. Don't they let you put any Coppertone on before the treatments? Seems odd to me... "here, we're going to cure your lung cancer by giving you skin cancer." Actually, maybe the Coppertone is a bad idea. According to Kevin Trudeau, it's the sun tan lotion that causes cancer in the first place. Fess up, you been snortin' that stuff for years, right? Damn you, Big Pharma! Hey, when you gonna try the high dosage intravenous vitamin C and carrot juice enemas?

I'm sorry, Pam, I'm rambling incoherently, and that's just not helpful, is it? I'm thinking of you. Just so's you know...

I'm thinking about spreading aloe vera cream on your back and chest.
;)
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Lasik is amazing.  I had it done about 7 years ago and recall having a mesh type mask over my eyes on the ride home (to protect eyes from flying fingers) and I could see clearer through the mask than I'd ever seen with my glasses.  Exciting!

Now I only need reading glasses to see up close so I don't have to hire someone to hold the book across the room  <-- an age thing.

Maybe it is one of the "good" things that comes from having had cancer:  saying yes to fixing other body parts?  I even had a face lift....  Actually, once my eyes were fixed and I saw me in the mirror I had to...

a faithful reader pulling for you,  Dovely1

 

Anonymous said...

I have had Lasik, too, and have been glad I did! Good luck!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

You all ways seem to continue to have such a positive out look on things even during something so frustating.  Hugs!!!!!!! wish i could help you get the aloe on your back.  Your j-land friend. Terry Ann.

Anonymous said...

I ADMIRE YOU, YOU ARE MY INSPIRATION, MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU   DEBI

Anonymous said...

I get those bumps with a sunburn...they ITCH!
:)

You continue to be so inspirational.  Your attitude is incredible.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the lasix.  I'd love to have it done myself, but financially it's just not possible for me.  I'm curious how it goes for you.  

maybe your daughter will put the gel on your back.  anything to help take the itchies away.  rest and take it easy, pam.  sometimes it seems like you aren't aware of how sick you truly are, because you keep on going like nothing's new.  your strength and positive attitude are astounding.  I'm praying for you, honey.  ((lots of love))

Anonymous said...

Wow...those are affects of radiation that I hadn't really contemplated before.  I'm sorry you're suffering.  

But how wonderful you get to have Lasik eye surgery!!!  I've been wanting to do it for awhile, but it's so expensive, there's no way we could afford it right now.   I don't even have insurance.  <sigh>  Hope it goes well!

XO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

WHAT A NICE BOSS!!!
HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER BY NOW...HOPE THE MOUTHWASH HELPS!
GOOD GOSH...20 MINUTES??? LOL
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

I'm itching for you.....does it make it feel better?:)

I'm sorry you are suffering, I will say an extra prayers for you and ask God to give you a wonderful weekend ahead.

All My Hopes & Prayers.....

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

poor babe...

lathering you up with aloe gel...