Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Day 173 - 8:51 am california time

this is just going to be a quick entry before i call my mom this morning .. i slept in till 7:30 this morning so i don't have much time .. i am normally up and working by 5 at the latest so i really feel like i'm catching up on my sleep the past few days :)

i have company !!

a couple of weeks ago i decided to take a chance and send an old friend an IM on yahoo .. i lost touch with him around 3 years ago and i've really been missing him .. (on yahoo if the person isn't online, it will actually save the message until the next time the person logs on) i was really surprised when i checked the very next day and found a message from him asking for my phone number !!  turns out he hadn't been online in months and just happened to log on that very day to find a message from me

i sent him my phone number and got a phone call from him the next day .. i explained my health situation to him and told him that i would really understand if it was too difficult to be friends with me right now .. he said not to worry .. i told him i'd call him back on sunday (he was staying with friends in the area) and maybe we'd be able to hook up if i was healthy enough to drive

i called and left several messages and never heard back from him .. until this last weekend .. he called and explained that he had lost his place to stay and was headed up to san francisco to hook up with another friend .. he asked if i'd get online for him, check his email and get the phone number of his friend .. i scolded him for not thinking of me when he needed a place to stay .. he said he didn't want to inconvenience me

sunday night, i was a bit surprised (pleasantly) when my friend (i've called him Rover since i've known him) and his friend, Julie showed up at my door at 10:30 at night, needing a place to stay

and its working out great !!!  i never even go into the living room and i've got a huge couch in there that they can share .. i love having the company .. i even tried eating solid food yesterday, a bit braver cause someone was here in case i choked again, he could save me lol

Rover and i did go out for a few months some 7 or 8 years ago, but quickly realized that although we loved each other, IN love was just something we could never do .. but he's always been such a great person to just hang out with and i knew that if he took Julie under his wing,that she was good people too

i love that i can just walk into the living room and have a conversation with either of them .. if they're awake .. they've both been sleeping a lot the past few days, Rover says living on the streets does that to you .. wears you out down to the bones i guess

i told them both yesterday how grateful i was that they decided to stay with me and my home was open to them until my son arrived on the 19th and only then because i only have one bathroom and it would be a bit crowded in our tiny cottage .. Rover said that would be great cause he'd have "a check" by then and he could get a place to stay

i was in such good spirits last night .. we ran out and i got us some chinese food .. i told them both it was great having company for dinner .. Julie replies, "yea!! and its great HAVING dinner too!!" lol

i love that i have somebody to put the aloe vera on my back after my radiation lol

on that note, its time to call my mom :)

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has a beautiful way of bringing together people who need each other. There are no coincidences in life.  I'm so happy for both of you!

Anonymous said...

what a joyous happening for you all.  holiday blessings, and all that!!  xo Phinney

Anonymous said...

Have fun..and enjoy the company.  The house always seems more alive when there are people in it, doesn't it?  

Anonymous said...

Just be careful because I too have invited friends to stay with me and they were having such a good time I couldn't get them to leave.  It was suppose to be for a couple of days and ended up being three months before I could get them to move on and then it hurt our friendship. Barbara

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that you have company!  This says a lot about how you are feeling.  
I hope that it is a wonderful stay for everyone.

I think the way everything came together on this with Rover was a tiny little mircale.  Don't you?

Kathy

Anonymous said...

somehow when I read this it made me think that Rover is really Jesus with skin on.....

Anonymous said...

This makes me think of my grandmother. Her sister came by to visit for a few days and stayed 20 years, lol! Enjoy your friends!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your company, and great you are eating Solid food....Nice to have someone there is case you choke.....You take care = Ally

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are having company.  Very touching, Julie's comment about being happy just to HAVE dinner.  
Traci

Anonymous said...

Wow!  what a story. Glad that you are feeling better and have someone to talk to .  we all need someone to talk to.  .Terry Ann.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you two were meant to have this time together! Enjoy your company!

Anonymous said...

LOL...you hippie you! :)

Anonymous said...

Pam,
Oh, so much happens when I'm gone!!! I'm so sorry you were in the hospital and feeling so bad....I wish woud have known so I could have given you the extra support and prayers you needed. I'm so glad that you are doing better and that you have friends there to keep you company. I was MIA from journal reading all last week as I was getting ready for my parents visit and Mandy's Graduation from college. When you feel up to it....I posted pictures of her big day in my journal :) I will continue to keep you close in thought and prayer....ans always close in my heart.

All My Hopes & Prayers......

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

so glad you have someone to stay with you and take care of you Pam stay strong

Deb

Anonymous said...

Pam,

I am so glad to hear that you are having a lovely time with your company :-) I miss you, and wish that I could be there with you  this christmas - the christmas that I spent with you years and years ago remains in my mind as one of the best times I ever had - being with family on christmas is not something that comes naturally for me LOL Nicky gave me an Odie ornament, and I still have it, probably next to mom's Bowl of Cherries book - and you gave me a sweater with a tiger on it... I treasured that for years and years. Hard to believe it's been, what, 17 years or so since we've been in contact at Christmas time... I'm so blessed to have you in my life this year -  I love you

Nancy

Anonymous said...

How nice that you hooked up with an old friend!  
Is he really homeless though, Pam?  That's terrible
if he is.  

Regardless, you're very kind, letting them stay at
your house.

XO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

Awww...so glad you took ur friend in....
especially around the holidays....you
are such a sweet person Pam!... I'm sure
having someone around is wonderful for you too
Hugss..~Terri~

Anonymous said...

Pamela, It is great you have someone there.  I am glad also to see our spirits up. I have purchased a laptop so I might have a chance to get online in New Orleans.  Take care. John

Anonymous said...

Cool!
And I'm happy that you're happy. :)

Take care-
Niki
Journals.aol.com/thinkingoutloud/ThinkingOutLoud/

Anonymous said...

that's so sweet of you to open your home and your heart to an old friend.  i know how nice it is to have someone to talk to when most of the time you spend time alone.

just be careful though.  it's been a while since you've seen this man and things can change over time.  i'm not implying that he's not a good man, but always just keep an eye out on your self and your "things".  one just never knows these days.  

glad that you're feeling a tad better.

hugs,
star

Anonymous said...

How kind of you to help out a friend in your time of need. You are a special Lady!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Love & prayers.
V

Anonymous said...

God provides!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam, has been awhile since we have heard  from you dear.  Hope you are just busy with having the kids coming home and getting everything done for the holiday. Just want to say hi and thinking of you.....God Bless Always....AJ

Anonymous said...

perfect.