Thursday, December 1, 2005

Day 161

and no Paul .. i haven't given up counting days .. did i ever tell you that when all this is said and done and i publish my book, the title is going to be the number of days we endured all of this .. besides, sometimes its easier to figure out a number than an actual subject line ;-)

today they have me on some liquid painkillers (ewwww .. they don't need to worry about me overdosing on THAT stuff) and a mouthwash called "Stanford mouthwash" ..  * Stanford's Mouthwash: Tetracycline, Nystatin, Hydrocortisone, Chlorpheniramine     (antibiotic, antifungal, steroid, antihistamine)

the pharmacist read the label on the bottle for me .. "gargle 20 minutes" .. eyes wide, i grabbed the bottle and continued reading "before meals" .. sheesh .. i almost saved me $14.10

the past few treatments, i've had a new radiology technician .. she's not rude, she's not grouchy .. she's just not .. well .. pleasant, let alone happy .. she is the epitome of technicians that i detest .. the kind that refuse to laugh at my expense

today while each technician was at my side peering onto my naked breasts (my breasts really WERE there, they were just kinda hiding under my arms .. they hate these procedures) .. when suddenly my cute funny male technician stands up headfirst into the radiation machine .. i could feel his pain and i think i saw one of two of his stars .. the female hitler said nothing .. i consoled him .. "now i know its not my lucky day .. had it been my lucky day, you would have fallen unconscious on top of me so i could have my way with you" .. he blushed .. the female hitler remained rigidly firm in her lifelong goal of never cracking a smile 

tomorrow i'm making an announcement .. i am at an unfair advantage .. i get to lay topless while people stroll around nonplused and as casual as if i were receiving manicure .. tomorrow this ends

tomorrow i level the playing field

tomorrow i announce that ANY technician not willing to endure the procedure with me ALSO being topless will have to find something else to do for 15 minutes .. in order for them to fully appreciate the level of humiliation and embarassment patients endure, i will ONLY allow topless technicians to work on me .. and i'll smile and i'm sure they're going to think i'm joking ..

and today is my daughters 15th birthday .. i had plans to drive to her dads house to drop of a little something-something but decided instead staying safely in bed, sipping liquid painkillers would probably be a safer bet .. so i dropped the package off at her dads house earlier this morning .. i would have loved to be able to see her, but i would have cried .. today is a very emotional day for me .. 15 years ago i gave birth to an 8 week premature baby, born at 4 lbs 3 oz, dropping to 3 lbs 10 oz .. we weren't even convinced she was going to live until she was 5 days old .. she's actually already died once .. i've actually threatened to complete the job on several occasions .. when she was 3 days old i refused to go to the hospital .. i had convinced myself that i was falling in love with her and if i stopped going to see her it wouldn't hurt as much if we lost her .. and she's been a fighter since she was born .. thats my baby :) 

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only topless technicians.  God I love you, Pamela.

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to both of you.  

Tell the technicians you have dozens of witnesses to just how serious you are.

Anonymous said...

I think she got her fighter genes from her mama!
:)

Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

I like your annoucement they better do it! Tell Christina I said HAPPY BIRTHAY!
I can't wait to buy your book1 Hopefully you will autograph it fro me!!!!
I LOVE YOU BUNCHES!!!!! XOXOXOXO

Love Always, Amy Janelle

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ooh! A book! When's it coming out?!?  I will definately be purchasing it
-winks-

And a happy happy birthday to your beautiful daughter!
Hugs,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Angel Girl...

Well, your tech was not the only clutsy one. Today I'm rolling a cart with a tv & vcr to my classroom. It catches the wall trim & stops suddenly. I smack my nose & lip on the tv. UGH! I saw stars. Then I go in to my students & say, now this is why my mom wants to wrap me in bubble wrap. This is how easily I get injured. I have a brace on my hand now, foot still not great, back hurting...etc, etc, etc. Ha! A walking "boo boo".

I love what you are planning on telling them! HA! Only fair! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!  Oh I definately would like to be a topless fly on the wall to see the techs faces tomorrow!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Pam.....


I would soooooooooooooooooo laugh at your jokes.  We'd never finish your treatment, but we'd have fun.


xxoo

Anonymous said...

Now that will be a sight!!  Topless techs walking around....LOL.

Happy birthday to your daughter!!!  

XO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

let me kno what the techs do.
If it was me, I would take it off for you!
Happy birthday to your darling daughter!
What NICU was she at?.....the curious NICU RN asks wondering if I cared for her...
Laura
http://adventuresinjuggling.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I had female techs but there was a male physicist that was there for the entire set up. I was 23 and sheesh I had a nice body back then. The funny part was when I was topless and they took pics. I always wondered what happened to them. Thank God there was no internet THEN. LOL

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Pam's Beautiful Daughter!

We have something in common.....a preemie :)  My Mandy was 6 weeks early and she weighed 4 lbs 11 oz and dropped to 4 pounds. She too, was a very sick little girl and was in the Nic unit for 5 weeks. She had Hyaline membrane disease and was on the respirator for 6 days. I remember very well feeling the same way you did as I watched her die in front of me a couple of times....it was a very scary time for us. I'll never forget the Doctor sitting by my bed explaining to us that her odds were 50/50 because her lungs were in such horrible shape. He said if she could hang on for 3 to 4 days, her chances would improve......they were the longest days of my life. Oh, I'm crying as I type this....those memories never get easier do they? :) But....she lived and has been our joy for almost 23 years. We were both blessed with gracious gifts from God in the form of our children, weren't we Pam?  Just how lucky are we? :)

All My Hopes & Prayers....

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter.  Tomarrow is my sons birthday.  I can't wait to hear what the technicians say about the topless joke.  I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when you made that statement to the cute funny tech. lol.  Your j-land friend Terry Ann.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your girl!  I say we ammend your topless demand...I say ANYONE who decides to read your journal should do so topless!  Hehe...give EVERYONE a taste of the ol'humiliation...what say? ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam!
Oh to be 15 again! (or maybe not on second thought!!) Let's pick about 32!! Yea! But HAPPY  BIRTHDAY CHRISTINA, the celebrity cook known from sea to shining sea for fantastic turkey day meals!  
Hey I have an idea - how about taking a picture of that Ugliest Dog in the World with you to the nice freeze face tech. Then tell us what happens:)   Actually I was very sad to hear he is gone, but I - I and about 100 million other earthbound freaks thought he was just the cutest thing since bad bad LeeRoy Jones.  He could have slept in my bed any time (the dog that is).

Now about those naked breasts- I'm sorry that must be very uncomfortable and that would be very equalizing for the nice lady to follow suit, BUT what would that do to the man??  Maybe ...?  Well I just can't imagine what to do about that??

Glad you are taking it easy - sounds like a very wise choice and I hope you feel better very soon.  I really think of you all the time.
xoxo Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam - Happy Birthday to your little one.....And good luck with your topless sessions....can you take your camera in with you - just to give us a laugh..LOL...Ally

Anonymous said...

Don't blame them for hiding!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,  I so admire you strength and courage.  I just read your last entry & I am still laughing out loud.   Your sense of humor is to be envied.  I look for your entries every day & pray for you every day.  I always update my daughter (20) & son (15) on your story.   I came upon your story 1 day this summer by accident.  I don't journal & hardly ever use the computer.  I was drawn to your story at first because there are many similarities between you & myself.  I am 48 & a long time smoker(always waiting for the cancer diagnosis), have a daughter Katie 20 & son Michael 15.  My oldest son David past away in 1999 @ 19 years & 4 days.  And what made me feel i had to follow you story is the fact you were diagnosed on June 23rd, which is my daughters birthday.  I felt this was a sign for me to quit smoking.  So on aug 25th with the help of my doctor & wellbutrin I did quit & have been successful so far.  The fact that my doctors RX for wellbutrin was his last RX  given to me because he passed away Aug 23rd at 48 years old (suicide) & your story have kept me strong & determined to stay successful.  So I thank you for sharing your story and wish you great success in your treatment and peace and love.  Know that I, as I am sure many others think of you daily & pray for your recovery.  And thanks again for the laughs you give.  What a strong women you are.   Joyce D

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter.  She has a wonderful mom.  

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,
No matter what you are going through with treatments, every day things in life, you always have that fantastic sense of humor going and make all of us laugh our heads off.  You are one special lady for sure.  Sending Happy Birthday wishes to your daughter, know you wanted to see her, but agree you needed to take care of yourself first. Fifteen years old, from what you told us about her birth, see she's a fighter like her Mom. Take care of yourself....hugs...AJ  

Anonymous said...

Happy birthing day to you and your daughter -- I hope in some way you two were able to connect and share in it's specialness  :)

I also love the idea of the topless technicians ... keep us posted!
~Dee
journals.aol.com/crochetwithdee/CrochetWithDee

Anonymous said...

Topless Radiation. What a great idea!!! Don't ever lose that sense of humor!!

Carolyn
http://journals.aol.com/shelt28/MyLife

Anonymous said...

I love your humor! LOL I am praying you will come through this totally healed! I also pray for you in trying to keep your relationship with your daughter.
Linda Brown

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,  Nice to meet you.  Your journal is the 1st i have ever posted to.  I hope you are doing better.  Do not have much to say right now, but as I read your story I will later.  I hope we can be freinds

bobby