Tuesday, November 29, 2005

whoops i did it again

10:15 am rain or shine (holidays excepted) you'll find me in the radiology department patiently waiting my turn .. in case you miss me during radiation, on wednesdays, you can run upstairs where i'll be partaking in my 4 hour chemo once a week .. (just so y'all know where to drop my christmas presents off .. i wouldn't want ya running around town getting lost ya know hehe)

most days the patients sit chatting quietly with each another .. yesterday morning there was a woman and her husband there i had seen on several occasions .. she was always quiet, never making a fuss .. just sitting there in those sexy hospital gowns in a hat on that reminded me of Gilligan's Island

i pulled my chair closer to hers and inquired, polietly, about her condition .. although her husband tried to interject on several occasions (to save his wife the effort of breathing i suppose) i really DID want to talk to her, to her hear side of her story .. pretty soon her gracious husband "got it" and was content to sit back and listen .. then i asked if her Gilligans hat held any sentimemtal significance .. she shook her head no

i pulled my hand crocheted chemo cap from my head (i was wearing my black and green one) and then i asked her if she'd noticed my chemo cap that was crocheted by a friend of mine .. she ran her hand over the cap, exclaimed how soft it was .. i encouraged her to put it on so we could see what it looked like .. and she looked like a queen .. a chemo cap fit for a queen .. just about that time my technician came to fetch me and i told her to keep the cap, it looks like it was made just for her and she looks beautiful

 and tomorrow i know when i see my new friend, she'll have a smile on her face and a beautiful new chemo cap on her head .. its amazing, even when you're at your sickest, just doing a little something to make you feel pretty sure does do a long way

here's a pic of the cap that Dee crocheted



and Dee?  http://journals.aol.com/crochetwithdee/CrochetWithDee/ ummm .. i'm running out of caps .. i only have my blue one left lol

we're going to need to work something out .. a payment plan perhaps .. well, at least until my eyes are better and i can see to learn to crochet myself
  i can't believe how such a seemingly small gift as a chemo cap can make a lady feel so happy   i need to order to more caps please .. one in black and one in orange :) is that possible?

i swear, if ANYONE knows of a chemo patient, these would be the perfect gifts .. they are soft and NOT scratchy at all .. they're warm, yet loose enough weave not to be stifiling hot .. and the colors are beautiful .. i must have received 2 or 3 dozen compliments so far (which reminds me i promised a few ladies to get business cards of Dee's so I can pass them out during next chemo)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahem, Pamela.  Is this an ADVERTISEMENT?

:D

~~ jennifer, who wrote down those directions for Christmas...

Anonymous said...

In the midst of your own battle you still show concern for others and the desire to spead cheer.  You are an angel.  Hugs. your j-land friend Terry Ann.

Anonymous said...

My neighbor's son is going through chemo right now.  He is just 16 months old.  He has neuroblastoma and isn't expected to live.  I can't bear it as I sit here with two incredibly healthy girls.  I am so grateful.  Does she make the caps in little boy sizes and styles?
Traci

Anonymous said...

You are so sweet Pam and I can see that God is using you through your sickness and you have made that girls day gy your act of kindness.  I wish I knew how to make them so I could send you a box full to give away and still have many for yourself. Barbara

Anonymous said...

You are so amazing, Pamela.  I have to figure out how to buy a bunch of caps and send them to you, so you can give them away.  Can we make some arrangements?  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

Pamela, that is so sweet of you.  You are one amazing woman, you know that?
I hope you're doing well.
Hugs,
xoxo
Heather

Anonymous said...

correct me if i'm mistaken, but you ran out of 'caps' some times ago, didn't you?
-paul

Anonymous said...

Oh Pam...what a sweet thing to do!
Love you,
Connie

Anonymous said...

You are just lovely....and must have made that ladys day....hope it won't be too long before you don't need them...Take care....Ally

Anonymous said...

Pamela, you are an amazing, loving and caring person. I am sure you made that womans day. And I am sure she must have felt beautiful in her new cap.

Hugs, Donna

Anonymous said...

with all you are going through and you still think of others!!!! You are my hero:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

A gift from the heart is always extra special :)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

What an angel you are, Pam.  To be going through all that you are, and still stop and think of others.  You are an earth angel, whether you think so or not.

I'm sure you felt as good inside and she did when you gave her that cap.  Sometimes just seeing someone elses joy, however briefly, stays with you for a long time.

You are in my prayers..always..

Jackie

Anonymous said...

What a marvellous story. You are a generous, caring person.

--Tom

http://journals.aol.co.uk/iscribble4u/TheSunriseandtheSunset/

Anonymous said...

I am so touched with your reaching out to this woman. How beautiful!
Laura
http://adventuresinjuggling.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Pam it's really something. When you have cancer you meet people that you would have nothing in common with, yet you share something that is so huge with them you immediately feel a bond. I was being radiated with another woman, we were the same age and I so wish I had kept in touch with her now. I have thought of her so many times over the years. I wish I knew how to crochet! Hugs, Nelle

Anonymous said...

PAM,
I JUST LOVE YA!
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

You're very kind, Pam.  It's the little things that count in life.  

XO,
b

Anonymous said...

Pam... what a wonderful person you are! With all you are dealing with and still you find time to look around and see someone who needs a little 'brightening' up. You are, as always, an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

you are an angel with a golden heart.  I can only imagine how much it meant to that lady for you to take the time and talk to her, show concern, and to give her such a thoughtful gift.  even when you are struggling yourself, you think of others first.  you're an amazing woman, pam.   (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Pam, you never fail to amaze me.....your beautiful spirit and giving heart was felt all the way over here in freezing cold Michigan. Thank you for reminding me how simple acts of kindness can change someones entire day.

All My Hopes & Prayers......

Pooh Hugs,
Linda~

Anonymous said...

We can all learn a lot from you friend.

Anonymous said...

And this is exactly why you are an "Angel Girl!" :-) Yes, helping others seems to help 50 fold back. The heart spirit is still 100%