Wednesday, November 16, 2005

cheating? more radiation oncology

is this cheating? merely moving my journal to aol.uk where the install to add advertising banners to personal journals hasn't occured yet?

so spank me .. when i was interviewed by The Washington Post it was because i was one person who "blogged for therapy" .. and i've been needing some therapy lately

moving from chemotherapy to radiation therapy has taken its toll on me emotionally as well as physically .. it was discovered during the bone scan done on July 7th, that i have arthritis in my neck, which would explain why i've been in so much pain/discomfort since i stopped going to my chiropractor over a year ago .. when she doubled her fee, even with insurance, i was no longer able to afford the two visits a year that kept me free from headaches

since the 4 mm mass was recently discovered on the left side of my brain, the question "are you suffering from recent headaches" suddenly takes on new significance

i decided it was time to spend my hard earned money, scrimping wherever i could, but it was time to visit my chiropractor .. but prior to making an appointment, i wanted to find out if she would consider accepting payments from me .. she's been my chiropractor for almost 25 years and never before have i not been able to afford her services .. and no, she had NO idea i'd been recently diagnosed with cancer .. so when she replied "pay me whatever you can afford, even $5 when you can, don't worry about it" really eased some of the stress i'd been feeling .. so tomorrow afternoon i have a MUCH needed appointment to see my chiropractor :)

tuesday was my first hands on appointment with radiation oncology .. i was so nervous .. nauseous, light headed, shaky .. my blood pressure was so high i had a very hard time hearing anybody speaking to me (when one of the technicians called out "i like your hat", i thought he said, "i like your TAT" and i was confused wondering how he knew i HAD a tattoo (if you're reading this Dee, i've gotten dozens of compliments on my chemo caps !!!)

after making me wait 30 minutes past my appointed time, the nurse went through a dozen documents, reading each one to me (heads up folks, i'm a visual person, NOT auditory in the least, so 99% of what she read to me went in one ear andout the other) all i remember from spending 30 minutes with her was that for the next 2 months i am not to use soap on my chest and i needed to buy aloe vera gel for when my skin starts reacting to the radiation

then two technicians led me to an xray room, stripped me naked from the waist up, laying on a hard glass table, arms above my head, proceeded to draw on me with a felt tipped pen, verified their markings with xrays, had the xrays verified by a physician and then made their felt tip marks permanent with 3 "tattoos" located in the middle of my chest and under both arms .. the tattoos were so tame compared to what i've endured with my real tatts .. mostly it was the discomfort, the muscle spasms from laying on the hard surface for almost an hour .. having muscle spasms, my arms going numb and not being able to move isn't my idea of a good time (hahaha) .. but mostly i think it was facing the unknown, alone ..

so far, thankfully, during each change in direction of my treatment, i've had somebody to hold my hand .. this one, except for the first appointment last friday, the radiation therapy, i'm beginning alone .. i think when i go with someone, have someone at my side, i'm stronger .. i think i hold it together for THEM .. cause i fell apart on tuesday, during my appointment, something i am not inclined to do

today i had the CT (or CAT) scan done .. it was done by the same technician as yesterday but with 5 assistants this time instead of one .. i even had a registered nurse (a tech can inject the contrast into my arm, but only a registered nurse can access my medi-port) at least this scan went quickly .. it was getting all my little marks lined up with the laser and then sticking the bb's onto the other stickers they'd placed on my chest to give the radiation techs landmarks in the xrays that took most of the time .. but thankfully, between the chiropractor visit tomorrow and the pain pills, i should be able to endure laying on hard flat surfaces for the next 6 weeks

we have a stimulation radiation therapy session set up for friday morning .. they say it takes about 20 minutes and again, its done for verification of the marks and also the stuff generated from the computer that was compiled from all my scans, reports and xrays

then, i believe, sometime next week, i start my daily radiation therapy

i have a lot more going through my head but my head is also killing me, my hands and arms are numb and my shoulders feel like a ton of bricks has been sitting on them .. time for a pain pill and some rest and relaxation .. it sounds like just what the doctor ordered :)

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam, a good long relaxation is definitely prescribed.  From me.  And the pup.

And moving your blog to aol.uk.  You are sheer GENIUS!  I am bowing...  not worthy...

~~ jennifer

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha  was someone worried about chemo brain? you are quicker & smarter than all of us~Mary

Anonymous said...

You are so smart how did you do this???

Deb

Anonymous said...

What an incredible ordeal.  We hear "radiation therapy" but have no idea how much it really entails.

I'm glad you've got such a generous and understanding chiropractor.  You deserve a little relief wherever you can find it.

Your Washington Post story was picked up and run right here in my local paper (in Allentown, PA).  People all over the country have read about you and blog therapy.  I've found blogging to be an amazing source of support.  I hope they dump the ads and our community can rebuild.

You're always in my thoughts....
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you here!  It may be cheating, but who cares.  I just want to know how you did it?  I hope the treatment at the chiropracter helps you and you can rest.  Be blessed, Penny http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere

Anonymous said...

What a good idea to move your journal, Pam!!  How smart are YOU??  
You are in my thoughts and prayers all the time.  I wish I'd been there to hold your hand during this time.  Just take it one day at a time.  
Pamela

Anonymous said...

http://edit.journals.aol.co.uk/_do/create_blog

just click on that link to be able to create an international aol journal .. i hope the link works :)

you can also go to aol international .. search for journals or blogs ..

http://www.aol.com.au/site/website/aolinfo/aol_international.php

Anonymous said...

No it's not cheating.

Is there any possible way they could make you a little more comfortable while giving you the radiation?
Wouldn't hurt to ask:)
Those tables ARE cold and hard.

Hope you feel better.
Huggs n love-
Niki

Anonymous said...

You are a genius! Cheating...naaah; smart...YEP!! I feel for all that you are going through now. I wish I didn't live on the opposite coast or I'd go with you for moral support. I hope your chiro apt helps tomorrow. With all the stress you've been going through, your neck muscles are probably as tight as can be. I hope you get some comfortable rest. I don't write here every day, but I do think of you daily and keep you in my prayers.

Hugs,
Darla

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the UK
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sdrogerson/SpecimenDays/

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Pam.  Wish I could send you a hug.  Lisa

Anonymous said...

cheating?
I applaud your cleverness....you go girl!
Laura

Anonymous said...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ PAM }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

YOU'RE BRILLIANT
I LOVE YOU MORE THAN EVER
AND I'VE FOLLOWED YOUR LEAD!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vivian

Anonymous said...

Pam,
I have been reading your journal for several months now, since I heard of your troubles via Miss Vivi's journal.  First may I say that I am holding you in prayer that all the nasty stuff that has to be gone thru will be done as quickly and painlessly as possible.  Your writing has inspired me to get back in my journal, but when I accessed it on Tuesday morning, it was locked up, covered with BOA crap, and generally not a lullaby as I remembered it.  This work around is a great idea, and if it puts a craw in the throat of AOL, it makes it even better!  THanks for the chemo brain that is apparently working better than mine at the present!
Love and Blessings,
Auntie Lyn
soon to be from lynda's lullaby at UK

Anonymous said...

Pam,
Hang in there!
You're great...{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGGS}}}}}}}}}}}}
MOLLY

Anonymous said...

HI! Found your new digs!

Anonymous said...

I would love to read the Washington Post article. Is it still available? Online?

I wish I could find words of encouragement for you during this time. I can offer my prayers and well wishes for you. Please know that you're in my thoughts.
Your chiropractor is a real gem! That's a huge stress relief.

Hugs to you,

Mia

Anonymous said...

Got mine started, thanks Pam.
Auntie Lyn
http://journals.aol.co.uk/lab2401/myUKlullaby/

Anonymous said...

You are brilliant!!!

Anonymous said...

i like that kind of therapy -

i'm moving to england too.

and don't worry babe - the nurses will hold your hand...

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who was on AOL UK...it's no bargain, either.  One thing I do know, it's much easier to get TOS'd in the UK.  That is why my friend is no longer with them...  Good luck with it, anyhow.  I've got you "bloglined," so I'll keep coming by.  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

First of all, let me thank you for discovering this ad-free space. I followed you, Vivian, and Maryanne here. I am linking you in my journal. You are a very smart cookie. ::smile::

Second, your chiropractor sounds like a gem to allow you to pay what you could. People like that are truly kind souls.

Third, I am sorry you are dealing with such a trauma...and alone for now. (Just remember, you are never really alone.) I hope things get a little easier for you soon or that you come to find them more tolerable. Prayers are free to give for whomever we wish, and I will be praying for you.

Thank you again for your bright move and for continuing to write these entries.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/bedazzzled1/BedazzlingWorld/ yet can still be found also at

Anonymous said...

Pam, when you go next time think of all of us here in J-Land.  We are holding your hand mentally.  I hate to hear about the arthritis in your neck, I too have the same problem, so I know the pain that you have been suffering with. Enjoy the chiropractor visit.  In my thoughts and prayers as always. Terry Ann.

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((Pam)))))))))))))))))) You are so brave and loved wether it be in the US or the UK! Glad I found you. Much love and prayers for less pain, Sassy

Anonymous said...

brilliant move coming to this place Pam. I am so darn proud of you. You take very good care of you. Who knew when Yuki Noguchi interviewed us for the Post that this would happen......... it is a disgrace.

You write and do what you need to do to cherish yourself.... we all cherish you too. With much love Dear Lady.

judi

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,
Gem here. Received the ad-free info soon enough. Glad to see you guys here.
I'll have my journal here soon.
I'll be back & take care,
Gem

Anonymous said...

I don't think you cheated with moving to the UK side of things; I think you learned how to play the system.

betty

Anonymous said...

My Prayers are with you, I think about you daily, you've been such an inspiration to me, your humor and your spirit are much appreciated.....Debi

Anonymous said...

Pam, you give so much to this community.  Thanks for finding a better way out of this "adjam" we are in (hehe, only in CONUS, thanks to you).  I hope it stays free from the junk, and I will be thinking about you and all this treatment.  You may think you are alone, but YOU ARE NOT.  We are all little angels fluttering around you when you feel the most alone.   Take care, Kris

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you will be going through radiation alone.
Will you still have your chemo angels?

Hang in there.  
Your in my prayers.


Kathy

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you had to endure that alone. I know one thing for sure. If we all could have been there we would have!

Anonymous said...

Pam, as always you amaze me with all you are going through and your strength to get through everything and still keep that good spirit.  Remember when you are doing your radiation that you aren't alone dear, just  remember all the hugs and love that all of us who care about you are sending. How nice of the Chiropracter to put you first over the $ sign, says alot about her, you're lucky to have such a good Doc.  Just keep smiling and laughing and it will get you through each day. God bless you dear........Hugs...AJ

Anonymous said...

Pam

Darlin...you are a treasure no matter where you keep your journal. You are wonderful to come up with this idea, we who love and adore you will follow you anywhere!

Love, Carly :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, Pam. This is really an important journal. When you`re better, you must put your energy into getting it published. It will help so many people!
http://deabvt.blogspot.com/
V

Anonymous said...

Thank heaven your chiropractor is such a nice person!  

I hope things go well, Pam.  I really, really do.  I'd be
scared too.  Even the word 'radiation' is scary.  But you
know what?  You're going to be just fine.  I have faith.
And I know you do too!

XO,
bridgett

Anonymous said...

Oh Pam...Bless your heart!  I can't imagine all the discomfort you are enduring!  You are one tough cookie!  Hang in there!  Lisa

Anonymous said...

That's great that your chiropractor is nice enough to do that for ya! :)
I hope all is going well for you!

Theresa

Anonymous said...

{{{{{{{{{{Pam}}}}}}}}}}}}} you ok?  It's been a while, since you have written.  Thinking of you and wishing to add a Happy Thanksgiving to my Honey!  We love you and we'll give good thanks to all your loveableness!